Monday, June 28, 2010

BET Awards: Through my tv screen

The annual BET Awards show is often the most extravagant ceremony for black entertainment. So much so that fans and celebrities alike come to expect the biggest performers in urban music to impress them with their on-stage presence. This year, more than most in the past, the award show met expectations.

I'll open this up in similar fashion to the show, with Kanye West. West stood on the mountaintop (obviously artifical) as if he were Moses and reminded fans of just what they have been missing since the release of Graduation, a rapper often mistaken for cocky simply because he is mindful of just how talented he is. The song he performed "Power" has an anthemic feel that would be a waste if it wasn't performed everywhere. West started the show off on the right foot.

Diddy delivered everything I wanted to see from him. He took us down south and performed his verse on the "Oh Let's Do It" remix. Fortunately that song stopped with Diddy's verse and Waka Flocka Flame, veiled from the world by the stage effects during the performance, never said a single coherent word. From there he transitioned to the club banger he and duo Dirty Money put together "Hello Good Morning". Here rappers T.I, Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj spit their verses while Diddy and Dirty Money drift back and forth across the stage.

As if collaborating with some of the biggest names in rap wasn't enough, the lights get low and all the home viewers see is Diddy and Dirty Money dancing under rapidly flashing lights. Thank God I do not suffer from epilepsy otherwise you would not be reading this today. I definitely had to turn my head for few minutes in fear of damage to my corneas. Besides the potential harmful visuals, Diddy brought his signature "do it bigger than you" style to the BET awards last night.

I will not jump off the boat and say I did not like the "Airplanes" performance altogether but did Keyshia Cole wreck the whole performance with her B.o.B and Eminem or what? She was trying to trying too hard to "flex her wind pipes" even though the chorus of that song, originally sung by Hayley Williams of Paramore, has a softer optimistic tone. Rapper/piano, guitar, drum player B.o.B came with a refreshing energy that caught my attention then Eminem performed his verse from the remix of Airplanes and then ditched B.o.B to performed his hit single "Not Afraid". As soon as Keyshia exited stage right, all was well on BET again.

I ought to mention the incredible performance of Drake last night. He opened up with a verse from "Thank Me Later's" intro track "Fireworks". Then he turned up the heat with an epic performance of "Over". The crowd is nodding and singing along but the performance reaches its apex when Drake surprisingly brings out Jeezy to perform "Lose My Mind". Drake adds a remix verse that was mostly unheard by television viewers because it was heavily edited. All of these combined made Drake really standout amongst the star studded lineup of the night.

Overall hip hop was pretty well represented last night. The biggest names in the industry graced the stage from start to finish. Some of the less than noteworthy hip hop artists (I use that term loosely) were nowhere to be found. I commend the BET staff for gathering the talent last night; I just wish they didn't try to cram the performances together in the beginning. Usher was nothing more than an afterthought because his introduction was rushed and he was pretty much squeezed in. This is my biased criticism of the night because I actually like Usher. Otherwise the BET awards gets a a thumb and a half from me. (That's right I didn't even mention Chris Brown... until now)

No comments:

Post a Comment