Friday, December 25, 2009

My favorite hip hop albums of this decade.

Sadly this decade is coming to an end. We have witnessed the release of many albums, some superb, some good and some horrific. For right now I will focus on the ones that I enjoyed.Here is a list of 5 of my favorite Hip Hop albums from 2000-2009.

Kanye West Late Registration- This was Kanye's sophmore album but it was no slump. He along with Jon Brian created songs with political value (Crack Music), sentimental value (Hey Mama) and catchy tunes that would replay in your head for days(Gold Digger). The production and arrangement of the songs were terrific. Lyrically he took a step forward.
Best songs on album: Diamonds from Sierra Leone, Touch the Sky and Roses

Outkast Speakerboxx/Love Below- The two disc set featured two solo albums from each rapper. Speakerboxx was Big Boi's side and Love Below was Andre 3000's side. The styles of both cd's contrasted in so many ways but that is what made it great. 3000 seemed to be experiementing with new sounds while keeping some of the Outkast funk sound.

Big Boi took the southern rap route with his album. Collaborated with various artist in the game at the time like Ludacris, Jay-Z as well as some of his closer friends from his hometown Atlanta like Killer Mike and Goodie Mob.
Best songs of the album: Hey Ya, Roses, The Way You Move and Bust

Jay-Z The Black Album- The magnitude of the hype for this album was crazy. This was supposed to be Jay-Z's last album before he went into retirement (obviously that didn't happen). Hov got together some of his favorite producers and compiled a group of songs that made us dance, think and learn a little more about him.
Best songs of the album: 99 problems and Encore

The Diplomats Diplomatic Immunity
- The first installment of the Diplomatic Immunity series by Cam'ron, Jim Jones and Juelz Santana was heavily fueled by sped up high pitch samples. The album had songs about selling drugs (Real ******), a personal song (Who am I) and plenty of songs that display how well the soldiers of the Diplomat's camp can rap. For some inexplicable reason the soul samples and crack raps lured me to these rappers. This album forced me to pay attention to this crew. I knew I would be hearing a lot more of them and I was not wrong.
Best songs of the album: Real ****** and I really mean it.

Eminem Marshall Mathers LP- This album featured some of the most outrageous lyrics I have heard in my life. Songs like Amityville and Kill You gave you the hint that something was seriously wrong with this Eminem guy. One thing that was not ailing him was his ability to make songs the masses wanted to hear. Hits like The way I am, The real Slim Shady and Stan all boosted the sales of this record to over 10 million sold. The way Eminem illustrates a perverted fan in Stan is almost unparalled.
Best Songs of the album- Stan, The way I am

No comments:

Post a Comment